Kyneton’s Festival of One Act Plays celebrating 61 years of continuous performance will return in 2017, and will be performed at the renovated Bluestone Theatre in Hutton Street Kyneton over 3 days from 1 to 3 September.
We are fortunate again to have engaged actor and script editor and consultant John Flaus as our Adjudicator. John is recipient of awards from the Australian Writers’ Guild and the Australian Screen Directors’ Association for long term service to the dramatic arts.
Guidelines for the Kyneton Festival of One Act Plays are outlined below, or can be downloaded from HERE.
For the first time this year the Entry Form is in an editable Google form HERE
Youth plays and the regular senior One Act Plays along with the recently introduced monologues will still feature but the individual category for Australian plays will not continue. The majority of entries are now Australian plays.
Please send to PO Box 59, Kyneton 3444 appropriate entry fee along with two hard copies of the plays, by entry closing date Friday July 28.
- Running time of One Act plays no less than 20 minutes, must not be more than 45 mins.
- Running time of Short Plays less than 20 minutes, and must not be a sketch.
- Running time of Monologues no more than 10 minutes and must not be poetry.
- The minimum number of players for all categories except Monologues shall be two, both must contribute to the production.
- Players for Youth plays to be under 20 years.
- Royalties applicable to the performance are to be paid by the entrant.
- Groups are required to supply appropriate properties, set, sound recordings and special effects as needed.
- The stage lighting is basic, but through the dimmer board.
- Any electrical appliances must have a current appliance test tag attached.
- Re Firearms Act 1996. If your play requires the use of a gun of any description the name of the responsible person must be given at time of entry. Prior notice MUST be given in writing if you intend to shoot blanks.
- Maximum set up time allowed shall be 10 minutes, striking time being 5 mins.
- The Committee reserves the right to reject the script or parts thereof if deemed unsuitable for the Festival.
- The expressed preference for the performance dates will be respected where possible but the Committee reserves the right to allot dates/times as dictated by the program.
- Final programming and number of plays accepted in the four sessions will be determined by the Committee.
- Should the winners of bluestone trophies not be present at the presentations, it will be the winning company’s responsibility to make arrangements to collect or pay for postage to receive their trophy.
- The non refundable entry fee is $35 One Act Plays, $15 Youth Plays, $15 Short Plays and $10 Monologues.
Best Play $500 Certificate & Trophy
Runner Up $200 & Certificate
Best Short Play $150 & Certificate
Lynette Brown Memorial Award for Best Director (One Act) $50 & trophy Best Actor $50 & Trophy
Best Actress $50 & Trophy
Best Supporting Actor $25 & Trophy
Best Supporting Actress $25 & Trophy
Trophy for best Costumes, Props & Settings
VDL Encouragement Award for young performer under 20 years in a Senior Play $50 & Certificate
Best Play Youth—Kyneton Theatre Company Award $50 & Trophy
Runner Up Youth—Lions Club $30 & Certificate
Best Actor Youth—Certificate & Medallion
Best Actress Youth—Certificate & Medallion
Best Ensemble Work Youth—Lions Club $20 & Certificate
Clarity of Speech & Projection Youth—Certificate & Medallion
Best Monologue Trophy
The Adjudicator’s decision shall be final.