The Art Photography Prize
The Kyneton Daffodil and Arts Festival is delighted to again offer the Art Photography Competition! This year there are two sections: an Open section and a Kyneton Black Hill Nature Reserve section.
Enter online or by post before 5.00 pm on Friday, 23 August.
First place: $250
Second place: $100
A People’s Choice honorable mention will also be awarded.
Entries for the Open section can be any theme or subject. The photographs will be judged by a panel from the art and photography community.
Entries for the Black Hill Reserve section must be recognisable with the theme of Black Hill Reserve. The photographs will be judged by a panel from the art and photography community and a member of the Friends of Black Hill.
Photographs in both sections will be judged on artistic merit, composition, originality, technical excellence, and overall impact.
The winners will be announced and presented with their awards at the opening of the Festival at the Kyneton Mechanics Institute on Thursday, 5 September from 7:30 pm where the winning entries will be exhibited. Entrants are warmly invited to the opening event.
All the works will be exhibited during The Kyneton Daffodil & Arts Festival from Friday, 6 September to Monday, 23 September in the Studio Gallery of The Old Auction House, 52–56 Mollison St, Kyneton.
More about the Black Hill Reserve photography section
The Friends of Black Hill are celebrating their 40th anniversary this year
Once a gravel pit and car rally track, the Reserve is now a place where people can enjoy being in nature among the mighty granite rock formations, observing local flora and fauna, and taking in the magnificent views.
This photography competition was created to celebrate and appreciate this beautiful and special place. The Friends are seeking images that reflect people’s own connection and experience of Black Hill Nature Reserve.
General conditions of entry
- Open to people 17 years and over.
- Entry forms must be received by 5.00 pm on Friday, 23 August.
- No late entries accepted.
- Maximum four entries per person, maximum two entries each section.
- The entry fee is $5 per photograph.
- Payment is by EFT to Kyneton Daffodil & Arts Festival Inc BSB 633108 Account 100697648 or by arrangement with Festival.
- Photographs submitted must be the entrant’s own work commencing with an original image captured by the entrant using a camera.
- Commercial printing and mounting of the image is permitted.
- There are no limitations placed on the expressive and creative manipulation of photographs using computer software, however all significant elements in submitted works should commence with an image captured by a camera and not computer-generated graphics.
- The entry shall not have been entered in public competitions previously.
- Entries are to use archival quality/acid free photographic paper and materials.
- Prints must be firmly mounted and be suitable for hanging, for example, on foam board, mount board, mat board or stiff card with a 400 gsm minimum weight.
- Light card will not be accepted.
- Works on canvas, acrylic or glass accepted.
- Framing or matte surrounds are optional and will not be a condition of judging.
- Clips will be attached at top corners to hang unframed works.
- Minimum print size: 20cm x 25cm.
- Maximum size of entry including matte surround (if used) : 40cm x 50cm.
- Please provide means to hang work – maximum size 40cm x 50cm.
- Attach a label with your name, title of work, and relevant section on the back.
- The photographs must be delivered to the Kyneton Mechanics Institute between 3.00pm and 6.00 pm on Wednesday, 4 September.
- All works are to be for sale, with sales of prints catered for.
- There is a 25 per cent commission + GST on all sales to the Festival.
- All or selected works will be exhibited. The curator retains the right to reject any works for display.
- Unsold works may not be removed until the closing of the exhibition and may be collected from The Old Auction House after 9.00 am on Wednesday, 25 September.
- Any damage to or loss of any exhibit howsoever and wherever occurring and whether while in transit, on display, in storage, or otherwise shall be the sole responsibility of the entrant.
- The Kyneton Daffodil & Arts Festival will not cover costs for delivery or collection of works.
- The Winners will be fully recognized and allow their work to appear in print and electronic media for Festival promotion.
- Copyright is retained by the entrants.
- The judges’ decision is final.